GRAVY GRAVY GRAVY
Basic Turkey Gravy
heart, gizzard from TURKEY giblets
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon fat from
3 Tablespoons flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Pepper to taste
- In a 3-quart saucepan, over high heat, place neck, heart,
gizzard and salt in enough water to cover. Heat to
boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add liver and cook 15 minutes longer. Strain both into a large
bowl; cover and reserve broth in the refrigerator.
- To make gravy, remove the cooked turkey and roasting rack from
the roasting pan. Pour poultry drippings through a sieve into a
4-cup measuring cup.
- Add 1 cup giblet broth to the roasting pan and stir until the
crusty brown bits are loosened; pour the deglazed liquid/broth
into the 4-cup measure. Let the mixture stand a few minutes, until
the fat rises to the top.
- Over medium heat, spoon 3 tablespoons fat from the poultry
drippings into a 2-quart saucepan. Whisk flour and salt into the
heated fat and continue to cook and stir until the flour turns
- Meanwhile, skim and discard any fat that remains on top of the
poultry drippings. Add remaining broth and enough water to the
poultry drippings to equal 3-1/2 cups.
- Gradually whisk in warm poultry drippings/broth mixture. Cook
and stir, until gravy simmers and is slightly thick. Season to
- Provides 14 servings at 1/4 cup per portion.
Copyright 2000 Alou